Ready to Support Immigrants at the Contra Costa Jail?
Sign up and receive alerts on the next steps to take!
Who we are
* We are people in the San Francisco Bay Area deeply concerned about immigration and the human rights of those who choose to move to improve their familie's lives.
* We are volunteers, friends, and allies of the local visiting group at the West County Detention Facility, (the Contra Costa County jail in Richmond, California).
* We came to this work through CIVIC, the national organization working to end the isolation of people in immigration detention.
* We support people who are being detained while awaiting adjudication of the immigration cases.
* We are a secular group but we have many allies in the faith based community.
* The sheriff's office has revoked our visitation rights simply because we have shown compassion, generosity, and care about the human rights of those held by ICE at the jail, not for criminal cases, but solely due to their immigration status.
In the Sheriff's press release we have been accused of:
-Providing their personal phone numbers and addresses to incarcerated persons.
-Relaying messages to family and friends of incarcerated persons.
-Receiving phone calls and mail from incarcerated persons.
-Depositing money into the accounts of incarcerated persons.
* We are also accused of sending detainees books, self addressed stamped envelopes in the Sheriff's press release these are called "contraband"
* We have been doing our work transparently since the visitation program started in 2011.
* We pose no threat to jail security
* We seek to make the WCDF a more humane place.
Who is CIVIC
CIVIC is devoted to abolishing U.S. immigration detention, while ending the isolation of people currently suffering in this profit-driven system. We visit and monitor 43 facilities and run the largest national hotline for detained immigrants. Through these windows into the system, we gather data and stories to combat injustice at the individual level and push systemic change.
Find out more about CIVIC at endisolation.org.